Sunday, May 1, 2011

Who's idea was this?????????

I want to know what happened to the fundraising WALKS and who came up with the STUPID idea to raise money by hosting a 5k run.  Why a run?  I hate running.  Hate it.  Hate it.  Hate it.  It's stupid.  I hurt everytime I run and half the time I am hurting the environment by taking so much oxygen out of the atmosphere every time I take a breath.  And I am sure people in Boston can hear me gasping for air every step I take. I blame the Susan K. Koman foundation and the Race for the Cure runs they host.  They make so much money now every charity thinks they need to do this too.  Why not a Walk As Slow As You Can fundraiser?  Or a Take a Break and Have a Seat fundraiser?  Noooooo, lets make everyone run.

Even though I knew I would regret it, I signed me and Ann up to run a 5K to benefit Friends of Kids with Cancer.  Every year my friend Tanya gets a team together to raise money in honor of her son Cole Fisher.  He died of brain cancer when he was 6 years old.  Normally they do a WALK to support the Make a Wish Foundation, but her "team" outgrew that walk so they supported this cause this year.  Figures that this would be the first year I could attend and it was a run this time.  Stupid.  Actually it was a 5k run/ 1 mile walk.  But I was feeling ambitious one day and signed up for the run.  Stupid.  For nearly 2 months I had been having panic attacks about this event which led to some not so nice text messages to my friend Tanya.  She just laughed at me.


But Ann and I did it.  We ran 3.1 miles.  Actually she ran 3.1 miles.  I ran/walked/cried/cussed/moaned 3.1 miles.  I started running, I ended running, and in between I just fought hard not to die.  And I should mention this course as 75% UPHILL.  WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT??????  My wonderful friend Tanya got a very nasty text message when I figured that out. ONE small hill that went down and then it was all up up up up up up.  Stupid!  Who designed this course?  Who thought this would be a good idea????  They better never step in front of my car.  That's all I'm sayin........

On a funny note, while I was running walking, I was passed by some guy in little runner shorts and I thought wow he got a late start.  Wasn't until a couple of minutes later when oxygen found its way back to my brain that I realized I had been lapped.  Stupid runners.

On a phttttt note, while I was running walking, I passed three teenagers (skinny teenagers) who had to stop and sit on the sidewalk to catch their breath.  I wanted to go up to them and laugh in their face and say "I haven't had to stop hahahahahahahahaha" but I didn't think that kind of attitude would befit this type of fundraiser.  But I thought it!





I wish someone would have told me my jacket was falling off.  By this time I was really to tired to notice!

1 comment: