Saturday, September 21, 2013

Anchors Aweigh!!!


It has taken me so long to post about this event in my life because I still can't believe it happened.  My baby left and joined the Navy.  As I sit here typing this I still have a hard time believing it is true.  Where did my little bubba go?  And why did he have to grow up so fast?  But grow up he did and now he is off on the adventure of a lifetime.  And I couldn't be more proud.  

 June 24th was the day Jon left for bootcamp.  That whole weekend was about nothing but spending time with him and making sure he got to tell the family goodbye.  That Sunday night, the 23rd, Ken and I took him to Spaghetti Factory for dinner then to the hotel where he would stay until it was time to leave.  And let me tell you, leaving him at the hotel was the hardest thing I have ever done.  Cried the whole way home.  I didn't know if I could get through his swearing in and him leaving for good but I did.  In fact, it was much easier the second time I said goodbye to him.
His dad couldn't be more proud




The swearing in was for anyone going into the armed forces.  So not all these kids are Navy, but the kid in the blue behind Jon is Navy also, even though Jon never saw him again once they got to Chicago.

Jon was in bootcamp for 9 weeks.  Crazy!  He said the worst day was the first day.  After that, everything just fell into place.  Well, for him, me not so much.  I wrote him a letter EVERY SINGLE DAY!  And let me tell you, that is hard to do.  My life isn't very exciting so coming up with things to write about could be hard.  On those days I just sent him stupid pictures I found online.  He loved my Star Wars ones  : D



The graduation ceremony was simply amazing.  However, the entire time I felt like I was in an episode of Where's Waldo.  I mean really.  How am I supposed to find my kid when they all look THE EXACT SAME?????  I think that's him, in the white hat.......
I really thought I would cry the entire time, but the only time I shed a tear was when the sailors first started walking in.  I think that is a moment I will never forget.  When the announcer said they are about to enter and the big doors opened up and all the new sailors walked in I almost lost my breathe.  So emotional.  And to see all the pomp and circumstance was awesome.  What tradition.  Of course, my favorite part was running down the stairs and finding Jon and giving him a great big hug!!!!  I cried then too!  MY BABY IS A SAILOR!!


Think our family was happy to see Jon?

 The after graduation party was the best!  The kids were so excited to see Jon and we all just chilled and asked him 19394823894923848 questions!  I think he was happy to get back to base  : D

















 The next morning Ken and I went to the airport to hang out with Jon until it was time for him to board the plane (early, really really early)
 This is his "nerd" look  Ha!





Sailor Jon, we are all so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!

GO NAVY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment