Friday, December 23, 2011

Rotary Student of the Month



A couple of months ago Jon called me to tell me he was nominated for the Rotary Student of the Month.  I was very proud of him, but being the awesome mom that I am, I told him not to get his hopes up to high about being selected.  Now, to defend myself, it is because I have seen who has been selected before.  The class president, valedictorian, straight A, involved in every club imaginable student.  While Jon is smart and a great kid, I felt his lack of gpa and club activities would count him out.

This is one time I was glad I was wrong.  He called me, again, and said, HA! I was selected.  So there!!  I can't begin to explain how proud I was of him.  There are only 8 girls and 8 boys selected every year, and this is from the entire 11th and 12th grade classes.  He was honored during one of their weekly meetings and Ken and I were able to go.





However, my original thought was justified.  At the Rotary meeting they call the students up (this time it was the Nov. and Dec. SOM) and Mr. Harris reads their application entry.  He also announces their gpa and the groups they are involved with.

The first girls went something like this:  Her gpa is 5.2, and she wants to be a surgeon.  She is a member of the spirit club, the hockey club, the science club, FCA, NHS.  She runs track, volunteers at her church, reads to the blind, , helps Santa make his toys.   Her dream is to feed the hungry, help the blind to see, the deaf to hear, cure cancer and find life on Mars. I may have made the last couple up, but you get my drift. And each one of the students applications read like that.

Then comes Jon's turn. Mr. Harris starts reading: Jon's gpa is somewhere between 4 and 5.  He is on the hockey and volleyball team.  He volunteers at the Old Six Mile Museum and likes video games and his friends and family.  He may go into the Coast Guard.  The end.

I assume the selection team knew what an awesome kid Jon is and realized their would be nobody better to give the honor to!





 Grandpa and Grandma are members of Rotary so they were really proud of Jon!  Gpa showed him off to everyone.



Congratulations Jon.  Dad and I are very proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment