Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 5

After spending ALOT of time in the sun we decided to take a break from the beach and do something new.  So we headed towards Pensacola and went to the Naval Aviation Museum.  Totally cool.  It was on the Naval base which I found pretty exciting.  It was so neat to see all the navy and marine guys (purrrrrr) walking around in their fatigues.  They had so many planes inside there.  One of the coolest things to see was hanging from the ceiling 4 Blue Angel planes in formation.  That's how big this place was.  I think the kids enjoyed it.  But probably not as much as Ken did.

After the museum we went parasailing.  This was my idea and I will be honest and say that I regretted this idea for most of the day.  I was terrified but I didn't want anyone to know.  I mean, those things get high.  What if the harness breaks?  What if the rope snaps?  What if they run me into the bridge?  Needless to say I held on for dear life.  But in the end I thought it was totally awesome.  And would consider doing it again.  Maybe...On a clear windless day...Maybe.....

 The Blue Angels in formation.  Isn't it crazy how close they get to each other? I get nervous driving thru construction zones when they have those big concrete walls and I have to get close to the car next to me.  If I was flying one of these things I would be looking out my window yelling at them to move over.  Hello....you have the entire sky, stay out of my lane!

 A Japanese WWII plane.

 Grandpa Joe operated one of these during WWII.  Looks like a Star Wars Plane to me.

 Ann is pointing to repairs that were done when the plane got shot up.  I think it was hit 34 times and still kept going.  I just can't imagine what those guys went thru.

 This was a banner that was flown from one of the Naval Ships after the war.  I took a picture of what the stars and stuff meant, but I can't remember what it says.

 Jon watched a movie on the Coast Guard and the role they played with search and rescue during Hurricane Katrina.  I don't think he realized what all they do.

 Outside the museum

 Ken checking out a model of an aircraft carrier.  It really is crazy how big these things are.

 Every boys dream


 All the red flags are downed Japanese ships or planes.  That kind of freaked me out.  Like a real life Battleship game. F6...HIT...Oh wait....THAT'S where the idea of game came from....I wonder what Japanese people think when they come to this museum, because you know they do.  They go to all the museums.  As long as they aren't at the pier fishing  : )  Oh...that was bad of me.....


 What the above pennant is about..good luck reading this...hahahaha

On the boat ready for take off 

 I thought this may be our last picture together


 This harness thing is what held us to the parasail.  Yep, just that little bunch of material there.  Nothing else...With surfer boy in charge of keeping us safe.

 You sit down on the back of the deck then, whoosh, the wind takes you up...

 and up, and up, and up

Our turn

 Jon wanted to go by himself but he was to lite.  It must suck to be him!

Coming in for the landing.  I survived.  I can breathe again.  I hug my children and kiss the ground.  And try and figure out when I can do that again  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment