Friday, September 2, 2011

Epic Battlegrounds



Gettysburg, Iwo Jima, the beaches of Normandy, the hummingbird feeders at my camper.  All places where historic battles have a taken place, where hero's fell defending their ideals.  Or in the case of my hummingbirds, just trying to get some food.

Being a newby to the bird watching game, I never really paid much attention to hummingbirds.  Of course, it could be because I never really saw any because they are so small and fast and it would have meant planting flowers that attract them.  But regardless, I am now fascinated.  And I am also now scared of them.  I have had some close calls sitting on my porch.  In a battle for the top feeder I have had these sweet  pretty birds come right at my head.  And I don't know they are there until they whiz past me.  And they are mean!  Or territorial.  But I say mean.

And impossible to photograph.  I could sit there all day with my camera in my lap but never get a picture of them fighting because they are so crazy fast.  But I will keep trying.  I am determined to get 2 mid air!

This one guards my left bird feeder.  He sits there looking sweet and pretty until another poor hungry hummingbird comes by to try and get nourishment.  Then his evil twin comes out and whoosh...he marches off to battle to kill the invader.  One of these days I'm going to look on the ground and see little hummingbird bodies, and this bird wearing a crown.

Yay for fast shutter speeds!


What???  Two birds one feeder???  Who captured this magical moment??  Oh wait, me!!!  I am assuming the bird on the left didn't see bird on the right.  Or all hey diddle diddle would have broke out.  I just sat back and enjoyed the peace.  For a second, half second, millisecond.

No comments:

Post a Comment