Sunday, September 18, 2011

My quilt

One of the things I love it do when I have time to just sit around and watch tv is work on my quilt.  My mom taught me how to paper piece a quilt together last year and I am currently on my second one.  Is my first one completely finished, no, but that's just a minor problem.

This one I am doing a flower garden pattern with red white and blue patterns.    Paper piecing takes alot of time and patience.   The first thing I do is find a pattern.

Then I make copies of the pieces I need to cut out.  With the quilt I am working on now I figure I need 560 of these little suckers.  Yes, that is quit a bit of cutting.

I am using a lot of different designs in this quilt all with the same theme.  Some type of red, white, or blue.  A Patriotic quilt.  I am hoping to have it done by next July.


Every piece of material gets a piece of paper sewn onto the middle of it.  This way all my pieces are uniform.

This is what they look like after the paper is sewn into them.  Each "flower" will have the same middle which will tie the quilt together.

By using a whip stitch I sew the pieces together.  After sewing all six pieces to the center one I will have a completed piece.

These are what the final "flower" looks like.  My next step will be to sew all of these together to make a large quilt top.  I will let you know when I get to that part.  As for now, I will keep cutting  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment