Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Washington DC


Ann and Cody went with his family a couple of weeks ago to Washington D.C.  His dad is getting ready to leave for Iraq for 6 months so they went there to see him off.  They were there 2 days and they saw more than I thought they would.   The National Archives, Smithsonian, Ford's Theatre, Pentagon Memorial, Lincoln Memorial.  Everytime I talked to her they were somewhere else.  And I am so proud of her.  She took pictures!!!  Not as many as I would have taken but since this is her first time on a real trip without me I will cut her some slack  : )

Since I wasn't there I'm not for sure what the pictures are about, but I will try my best to narrate.

Ann and Cody in front of the White House.  They wanted to get inside and take a tour but since it literally takes an act of Congress to be able to do that they settled for looking at it from the sidewalk.

 Sharpshooters.

 The Washington Memorial.

 When I was a kid we went to Washington D.C. and the Smithsonian was one of my favorite places.  The one thing I remember from that trip was the First Lady Inauguration dresses.  And Ann took pictures of them too. We are so much alike  : ) 
This is Helen Taft's dress

Rosalyn Carters dress.  All I can say is ugh.  Who designed this??? She looks better dressed for a party in India.  

Nancy Reagan's dress.  I  just realized that when I went to see these dresses this one wasn't even in there yet.  Wow.

 Michelle Obama's dress

 I love the pop culture stuff they have there

 The Ruby red slippers from the Wizard of Oz

 Furniture from All in the Family.  This picture makes me laugh because I can almost guarantee Ann has never seen this show but took a picture of it anyway.  My only complaint..where are the muppets???

 No clue.  Federal Archive building maybe??

 Pentagon Memorial  : (   The direction the benches are facing represent where they were when they died.  The benches facing the building represent people on the plane, the benches facing away represent the people that were in the building.  
These kind of pictures break my heart

Cute couple

Who died here???

I did!  I did!

The kids had a really good time.  The goodbye's were hard but I am glad to say they all made it home safe.  And poor Glen has yet to leave for Iraq.  There was a mixup with his passport so he came home until it got straightened out.  So another string of goodbyes will be happening soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment